Sunday, April 26, 2015

Birth Story

I'm going to make this a fairly short birth story. Mainly because I have waited too long to write it and my four days at the hospital all ran together.

My husband and I had our 39 week appointment with my doctor on April 6th. She checked me and I was 3cm dilated and 75-80% effaced. She asked if we wanted to get induced and we told her that we didn't think so. She told us that she was on call on Wednesday, so if we wanted to be induced, we would have to do it then. We seemed unsure, so she told us to think about it. When she left the room we discussed all the reasons that we should go ahead and be induced. My reasoning was because I was already two weeks ahead on lesson plans for my substitute and by being induced, I wouldn't have to keep planning more. I also could contact the principal, the substitute, human resources, and the lady in charge of the substitutes right away instead of doing it last minute had I naturally gone into labor. I am a planner, so it all seemed so much better to me. So, after discussing it, we stopped by my doctor on the way out and told her that we wanted to be induced that Wednesday. That night I made my phone calls/sent emails to those that needed to know. Tuesday the 7th, I worked from 7am to 7pm to finish getting ready for my sub. I had to make copies and get things in order. I got home and finished packing my hospital bag and his diaper bag.

April 8th

7:00am: We arrived at the hospital. I got in my hospital gown and we took my last pregnancy picture.
39 weeks 2 days
8:20am: I was 4 cm dilated. They started the Pitocin for induction.
12:30pm: My doctor came in and broke my water. Within an hour I went from 4cm to 6cm. It took several hours after that to go from 6cm to 8cm.
2:45pm: I had the epidural. That hurt like a MOFO. LOL

That evening (around 4pm or 5pm), Mike gave me a push present. When he went to buy it, he didn't even know that it had a name. He just knew that he wanted to give me something for all the hard work that I was going to put into labor. Now that I had a c-section, I don't know what it would be called. ;) It is like a Pandora bracelet, but it's the J.B. Robinson one which is called Charmed Memories. The baby carriage represents Jordan. His birthstone is diamond, so there are cubic zirconias in it. The other one is the open heart concept where the two big hearts represent us, the smaller heart represents Jordan, and the paw print represents our two pups. :) I LOVE it! It's absolutely PERFECT!

There was a lot of waiting after that. Jordan was head down, but he was facing up (facing my belly) instead of down (facing my back). For many MANY hours, I was laying on one side and then flipping to the other side trying to turn him. At one point they had me on all 4's on my bed and I was shaking my hips from side to side trying to get him to flip. I did that for 20 minutes. No fun. :/

April 9th

1:30am: After uping the Pitocin, my contractions got pretty close together. Jordan didn't like that, so he was holding his breath with every contraction and his heart rate dropped. 3 nurses came rushing in the room and lowered the Pitocin and had me switch sides that I was laying on.

Some time after that we started questioning my nurse about c-sections.

4:00am: My nurse came in an explained that we can either keep doing what we were doing or we could choose to do a c-section. My doctor was at the other hospital about a half of a mile from our hospital doing a delivery. They said that when she got back, we could do my c-section if that is what we chose. We decided on doing a c-section. We still feel that was the right choice for both me and Jordan.

4:30am: I was prepped and in the operating room. At about 4:40 Mike came into the OR. He held my hand as the doctor and nurses worked on getting Jordan out of me.

4:50am: They told us that he was out and we heard his precious cry for the first time. My eyes watered (I'm not a very emotional person) and Mike got really emotional. It was sweet. They then held Jordan over the blue curtain (the barrier between us and the doctors doing the surgery) so we could see him. They cleaned him up and brought him over to us. Mike got to hold him and we took a couple pictures with him. :)

5:30am-6:30am: I was in recovery.

Shortly after, I was wheeled to my room. My husband met me in there and they brought our baby boy in for me to hold. My heart melted. :)

I was extremely swollen due to the surgery and being on the IV for so long. It took me awhile to move comfortably, but I never had a hard time recovering from the c-section.

We were planning on going home on Saturday, but Jordan's weight had dropped from 7 lbs 11 oz to 6 lbs 15 oz. The nursing consultant said that it could be because I was on the IV for so long that he could have weighed more. Either way, my milk had not yet come in (still hasn't, but that's for another post), so we had to supplement. I was breastfeeding him (15-20 minutes on each breast for the colostrum) and Mike was feeding him 2 oz of formula. He went from 6 lbs 15 oz on Saturday to 7 lbs 2 oz by Sunday. We were able to head home at about 12:30 on Sunday, April 12th.

I don't have many pictures because we used the hospital camera for most of them. We don't get those pictures back for about another 2-4 weeks. Bummer. I'll post them when we get them. :)


JoJo said...

What a cute present ur husband gave u. I'm glad u two agreed on the right decision for u and ur son.

Amie said...

How cute is that bracelet! So glad little Jordan arrived safely, he is so cute!!

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Glad your c-section went well. I had a required c-section and found it easier to recover from than my fibroids/endo surgery a few years ago!

Congratulations again!